21 December 2010

Perseverance Pays Off - and the Quest for Mushy Food....

Today has been a very good day.  After several calls back and forth between myself and the insurance coordinator at the bariatric center, and between the insurance company - everyone is on the same page!  THANK YOU so much to Clara, my awesome insurance coordinator at the bariatric center.  I could not have done this without her.  In the course of 24 hours, we have gotten it approved (preliminary) to switch the surgery code on my insurance claim to the Gastric Sleeve.  I am so much happier and at peace with my decision now.  I had some concerns because of some of the permanent limitations of the bypass, and those were limitations that do not exist with the sleeve.  We just have to wait a day or so for the final "paperwork" to come back from the insurance company, and then the final sign-off from the surgeon - but I have been assured that I am able to keep my surgery date. 
So....with the good word from my insurance coordinator, knowing that I'm keeping my surgery date - tomorrow evening begins the week of mushy food.  Starting tomorrow, I will be living on protein drinks, unsweetened apple sauce, sugar-free pudding, and cream of wheat.  It was definately an interesting trip to the grocery store - buying mush for myself, and trying to find easy to cook dinners for John & the boys for the next two weeks - stuff that doesn't take a ton of effort, since I can't eat it, but that they will like to eat. 
I'm also very appreciative to my awesome sister-in-laws who completely understood that I didn't want to cook anything for Christmas dinner, so I get to bring the rolls, "relish tray" and dessert. 
To all the family and friends that have already volunteered to help out with watching my boys, driving kids back and forth during the recovery time, and just being supportive in general, THANK YOU so very much.  To my awesome husband - who has been supportive of this from the very first thought of it, and who is right there with me asking questions, and generally watching out for me - I love you very much and couldn't do this without you.  The next week is going to fly by...and I honestly can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment